Welcome to Howley, Newfoundland.The history is what makes this place so special.
James . Patrick . Howley
Geologist, surveyor, museum curator, and author. Born July 7th, 1847 near St.John's, son of Richard Howley and Eliza Burke. For 20 years Howley spent a good part of each year exploring the interior of Newfoundland. James Howley made some extensive and difficult treks between the south and northeast coasts, as in 1888, when he went up the Bay d'Est River to Meelpaeg Lake, and then across to Exploits. He spent several seasons in the Grand Lake area, looking for commercially-viable seams of coal. Coal was found in Howley eventually and Grand Lake is the water supply that flows into the town of Howley. The geological surveys and the maps published Alexander Murray (1873, 1879) Howley`s partner and Howley himself(1907, 1919), made Newfoundland's land-based resources much better known, firmly established the geography of the interior, and were the essential preliminary to the building of the railway (1881 to 1897) and the development of forest industries. This small town was named after James .P. Howley for all of his discovery, exploration, and outstanding work.
Bartibog, Miramichi, New Brunswick, Canada. The Story of the origin of the first moose in Howley, Newfoundland, and the man responsible John Connell.
Traveling piggy-back style from Chatham, to Newfoundland.
In 1972, there
were an estimated 40,000 moose in Newfoundland. Wildlife officials in
the tenth province believe that since 1945, there have been more than
180,000 moose legally hunted.
Moose Requested !
The request for live moose must
have come from the Newfoundland government.